This is the project I entered in the current challenge on Craftster: Bookworms.
Voting doesn't start until March 10th (just in case you want to vote for someone...!)
I found a tutorial to turn a book into a sewing box HERE and I knew it would be
perfect for my partner in the Book Lover's swap, which I had just started organizing
when this challenge was announced. So she got a new sewing box, and I got
something I could enter in this challenge! Win-win!
It started with this big, thick volume of Shakespeare I found for $1 at my local library.
(People donate old books and the library sells them to fund their programs.)
First I removed all the pages--it was actually very easy to do with an X-acto knife:
just one cut along the inside of the spine at the front and the back, and they all came
out together. The pages aren't used in this project, so I saved them for something in
Then I glued book-themed scrapbook paper to the inside of the covers,
sandwiching in some ribbon to tie the box closed. I measured and cut balsa wood
into the sizes I needed to make the compartments, and used a hot glue gun to hold
them in place.
I glued more of the scrapbook paper to the outside of the balsa wood to give the
box a finished look.
I painted the top edges of the wood with gold paint. The pin cushion is a simple
circle of fabric stuffed with poly-fill and glued into one of the compartments. I made
a matching needle book to complete the package.
The most time-consuming part of this was the planning and the gathering of
supplies; I've never worked with balsa wood before and I didn't really know where
to buy it! (I ended up finding it at Michael's; in the future I will probably look for it
on-line.) I worked slowly since it was the first time I had done it, but now that I have
the experience, I think I could complete my next box in under two hours. I like the
way it turned out, so I will probably do this again, either for myself or a future swap partner.