Sunday, June 3, 2012

Summer Sewing: Soda Can Cozy Tutorial

The Sew Something Summery swap is open for sign-ups on Craftster for a few more days; if you are a member of that site, I hope you will join us!


To prepare for the swap, I sewed the flip-flop bag and soda can cozy, above (I had already made the Happy Cloud Notebook).  I liked the can cozy so well that I want to show you how to make your own.  It's easy and quick to make, and I have just discovered how much more pleasant it is to drink from a can when it is wrapped in a cute cover like this!  I really appreciate not having to hold a cold, wet can, and my husband and I no longer have to ask each other "is this your soda or mine?"  This cozy also adds insulation, so the soda stays colder longer.  It makes a nice gift, too!



 Soda Can Cozy Tutorial

A note before you start sewing: 

Two of the items I used in my cozy are a bit unusual.  For the layer between the outer fabrics, I used Insul-Bright, which is a type of batting with insulation material in it.  If you can't find it, regular quilt batting would work just fine.  I also added a strip of Grip Tight (fabric with little rubber dots on it) to the back of my cozy, to keep it from slipping off the can when I'm holding it.  It is more of a precaution than anything; the cozy without the Grip Tight stays on well, especially if you position the buttons so that it closes tightly, so go ahead and skip it if you wish.  I'm a "better safe than sorry" kind of girl, so I used the Grip Tight!

I pieced together strips of fabric for my cozy.  If you wish to use a single fabric for the outside of yours, cut that fabric 9" x 3 1/2".

Materials:

7 different fabrics.  Cut six of them 1 3/4" x 3 1/2"; cut the seventh one 2" x 3 1/2".  (That last strip is a little wider to make the cozy fit perfectly around the can.  Use the wider strip on one of the ends.)

Backing fabric cut 9 1/2" x 4"

Insul-Bright cut to 9" x 3 1/2"

Grip Tight cut to 8" x 1"

Lightweight iron-on interfacing, cut to 8 3/4" x 3 1/4"

One hair elastic and two buttons for the closure

 

The picture below shows my fabrics.  I find it easier to just cut long strips and make several cozies at once.  Also pictured are the backing fabric and the Insul-Brite and a strip of Grip Tight.


If you use the Grip Tight, center it and sew it to the right side of the backing fabric using a zig-zag stitch.


Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew your fabric strips together. Press the seams to one side. . Cut one piece 9" x 3 1/2".  Apply iron-on interfacing to the back of it.


Here are the main components of the cozy: Insul-Bright or batting, pieced front, and backing.


Layer the components together in this order:  backing, face up; then the pieced front, face down; then the Insul-Bright (there is no front or back to this product).


Pin the layers together.  For the loop closure, tape a hair-tie in the center and cut it in half.

Postition the loops 1" apart on one of the short ends, between the backing and front fabrics.  Pin in place.


Using a 1/4" seam, sew all around the four sides of the cozy, leaving a 2-3" opening on one of the long sides for turning (my hemostats are pointing to the opening in the picture below).  Trim the excess fabric on all sides and turn the cozy right-side out.  Press.


Top stitch close to the edge of the cozy, all the way around.

The front:

The back:

Wrap the cozy around a soda can, and mark the spots where the buttons will go.  Sew on the buttons and you are done!

The one on the left is the first one I made; I happened to have these fabrics already pieced together in my scrap bag!


Please enjoy your new cozy and your summer!

7 comments:

wendiek said...

It is a good idea and it's looks so good!

If I can find the time to do so, I'll be making these for my boys. But we will wrap it around a small bottle.

Thanks for sharing Leslie!

Oh I had never heard of Insul-Bright or Grip-Tight fabric, not even in Dutch. So learned new things too!
As for the Grip-Tight that might work good on the bottom of socks too, prevents you from slipping, well I guess...

Kay said...

I would never have thought of this in a million years, great idea. Thank you for the tutorial.

SharaLee said...

Leslie these are so cute. I'LL be trying these soon! I've never used insulate material, & I do have shelving material like rubbery kind that I have left from puting it in my kitchen cupboards, I think that would work. Thanks for the tute!

LimeRiot said...

Great tute, Leslie. Thank you for sharing. We don't drink soda but my hubby loves a cold beer in the summertime and I know he'd appreciate a personalized cozy.

The Summer Sewing Swap is a fun idea. I wish I wasn't so stinkin' busy! Have fun. I'll be watching the gallery :).

Michele T said...

Great tutorial!! These are awesome and I love the fabric you used too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.
I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back in the future.
I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great work, have a nice day!
My blog : bacalao

RookieSAHM said...

Use cabinet liner as a grip too.