Friday, June 15, 2012

Felt Fishes and a Heart

I have enjoyed making and swapping felt badges on Craftster, so I was thrilled when Sophie of Threadhead agreed to a personal swap with me.  She is such an amazing stitcher!  We each made two felt badges, based on the other person's Pinterest

Sophie has a lot of things on her Pinterest, so it was hard to choose just two themes for her badges, but I finally decided to go with interests that we have in common.  She has a category just for fish, so I made this one first:


I cut the fish from felt free-hand; then I used a chain stitch to embroider them.  I thought it would look like scales, and it does!  Three shades of embroidery floss give the fish gradations of color.



For the second badge, I found a heart on Sophie's Pinterest, and I made almost an exact copy of it.  I made a template to cut the heart shape, then cut the leaves and circles free-hand.


Both badges are made of wool felt and embroidery floss, and are just under 3" at their widest points.  The heart has glass beads accents.


I love hearts and I think this one is gorgeous, but it is the fish badge that got all the comments when I posted pictures on Craftster!

I mailed these (from the U.S.) to Sophie in England on Friday and she received them on Wednesday--that's fast!  I hope hers come to me just as quickly.  I think I'll go check the mailbox right now!

6 comments:

wendiek said...

They are both so beautiful Leslie!

The fish are extraordinary, I think that is why they get all the comments!

Your stitching is so neat and very, very beautiful.

All the details are amazing. Great job!!!

Kay said...

These are amazing, especially the embroidery on the fish. Wool felt always looks so much nicer than ordinary felt but I have a wool allergy so have to use the ordinary stuff. You can tell the difference in the quality just by looking at it though.

Unknown said...

unbelievable.
leslie, these are masterful.

Anonymous said...

I love your heart! It is gorgeous! I'm also following your 365 Hearts blog and have to say you are amazing! I really thought you had set yourself a difficult task, but the variety so far is incredible. I'm looking forward to the rest of the year filled with hearts.

Leslie Andersen said...

Thanks for the awesomely nice comments, everyone!

"Anonymous"--thanks for the kind words about my heart blog. That reminds me, I can count this heart as one of the 365! I will post it there soon!

Kira - oopsicraftmypants.com said...

I love the fish! The chain stitch really does work perfectly. I admire you and your hands, they always do such nice work :)