Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pretty Apron

I sew a lot--every day, really--but I haven't sewn anything using a tissue-paper pattern in a loooong time...until I had a request from my partner in the recent "Invite Your Partner" craft swap on Craftster.  Jen asked for a "pretty" apron, because all of hers are boring and utilitarian.  She gave me a link to a picture of an apron she liked, so when I was in JoAnn's one day I looked through their patterns and found Butterick #B5125, a "See & Sew" pattern with the words "YES! It's EASY!" on the front.  It looked similar to the one Jen likes, so I bought it, and some fabric, and here's what I made:


I like the ruffle at the bottom, and the shape of the neckline gives it a "girly" look. (I also like having a beautiful model available for picture taking--thanks, Jenna!!)

I have to say that I didn't think it was super easy, compared to a lot of things I've sewn, but I'm sure that has to do with the fact that I don't like reading and following directions!  Adding the ties to the top was the tricky part, because that fabric also served as a binding for the side edges, and the directions didn't seem as clear as they could be...but I managed to figure it out.


I had enough fabric left to make these "Stay-Put" kitchen towels that Jen had on her Wist.  Now THIS was an easy project!  I used the tutorial at Pin. Sew. Press.  I bought a four-pack of white kitchen towels at Target, washed them, and sewed three strips of fabric to each, then threaded ribbons through the casings.  They are meant to tie onto the oven door handle, so they are handy but not falling on the floor every time you dry your hands.



Jen is happy with her coordinating apron and towels, and I gained a little experience with tissue-paper patterns.  Win-win!

3 comments:

Kay said...

I love the apron, especially as it is done in an aqua fabric. Anything is bluey/greeny shades goes down well with me. I have a green and cream kitchen so it would work well in there. I am sure your partner was thrilled with her parcel.

Alexandra Abarca said...

Hi Leslie:

Your Apron is really glamourus (I don´t kow if it spell like that).

An the kitchen towell I have recibed one and now I have the tutorial. Thanks.

Ale
Costa Rica

voyance gratuite en ligne par mail said...


Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.