Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Felt Badge Display

Here's what I made for my partner in the Felt Badge Swap at Craftster.  She likes trees, poppies, and the color orange.  I made this badge using wool felt, embroidery floss, and seed beads:


I loved it so much I decided to make one for myself in my favorite colors:


I'll tell you a secret:  every part of the felt is hand-cut, except the flowers.  I used a leather punch for those!  It is similar to a paper punch, but it has six different sizes of holes to choose from.  I don't think I would have been able to hand-cut perfect 1/8" circles!


The back is covered with a second pink felt oval, and the two are blanket-stitched together.


Now that I have a pretty good collection of felt badges, I need to display them.  I found this cool shadow box at a bookstore; it is really just a bulletin board under glass.  It measures 9" x 12".


The top swings open easily, and it closes with a magnet.  I just arranged my badges and pinned them in place.


All ready to hang on the wall (it has picture hangers already installed on the back.) 


I bought a larger one too, so when my collection expands, I can transfer them to a larger home!

7 comments:

wendiek said...

Oh Leslie, LOVE it!!

That badge with the tree is so beautiful. The poppies are too cute, love them so much!

What a nice way to show all those badges of.

LimeRiot said...

What a cute idea!! They look like little felt badge specimens! I think I'll have to do something similar.

Suzy said...

Leslie I love it!! I've been oohing and awhhing over the gallery on craftster!!

waggonswest said...

What a great display. I am greatly reassured to know you used a punch for those tiny circles! It gives me hope. Your badges are absolutely fantastic.

sewphie said...

That looks so cool - i'm going to mount mine in an embroidery hoop
If you fancy adding to your collection i'm always up for personal swaps ;)

Unknown said...

Each one is a gem and together like this they are awesome?

Oodelally said...

What a great way for displaying your badges :D